Friday, September 24, 2010

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner




This review is in English for you mr. Ibarra!

I've been told that I shouldn't like the Twilight saga. I've been told that I have the wrong gender. I've been told that I'm too old. Well, screw them! I love the books - even this one.

But lets be honest. The book bored me. I found the story tedious. I couldn't even take breaks; the book is 178 pages long and wasn't divided into chapters, nor was it divided into sections. To top it all, it's about a rather uninteresting subject: Vampires, or more precisely: Newborn vampires.

Bree Tanner makes a brief appearance in the third book of the Twilight saga. There she dies just minutes after the sagas main character, Bella, gets introduced to her. The author, Stephanie Meyer, writes the saga in first person point of view, and because Bella didn't know Bree we didn't get to know her part in the saga. As it turns out she really plays an important part.

So lets put the story aside. Deep down we all know its bad. So why do I love the saga? Well, the answer is obvious. It's Meyers writingstyle that captures me. I don't know what it is. I have read a lot of books where the author uses a first person point of view, but no author has captured me the way that she has. I guess it has something to do with the way she makes you connect with the characters. When you read a Meyer book you don't just think the characters' thoughts, you feel their sentiments. You don't just understand their dilemmas, you dread them.

Meyer has a magical way of making the characters become a small part of you. If not permanently, at least for a small period of time.

... or maybe it's just the naïv teenager inside me that hasn't died yet. You know, the teenager that is a sucker for a romantic story.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for writing this review in English. I really appreciate it. You have an honest and courageous writing style. The ending is poignant.

    ReplyDelete